We have released lubuntu 16.04! The lubuntu team is proud to announce another great release. Please download it here:
New Features in lubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Kernel is now the 4.4 LTS kernel to sync with the 16.04 release.
- General bug fix release as we prepare for LXQt.
- Many LXDE components have been updated with bug fix releases.
- An update of the artwork (more icons, theme update, more compatibilities …).
- lubuntu-extra-sessions: In the past, selecting different sessions (netbook, gaming etc.) was installed by default. This is now an optional extra that can be installed by those who want this added functionality.
- Lubuntu PPC Mac images are available in this LTS release.
- Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
- Pcmanfm, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
- Openbox, the fast and extensible, default windows-manager of LXDE.
- Lightdm, using the simple GTK greeter
- Firefox, the famous web browser.
- For more detail, please see the full list of applications.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not pre-date 2000. The desktop images for lubuntu 16.04 requires a DVD / USB device to write it to, the alternate images are for those with have non-standard setups or Low RAM.
For advanced internet services like Google+, YouTube, Google Docs and Facebook, your computer needs about 1 GB of RAM.
The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8.
Older processors are too slow and AMD K7 has problems with flash video.
Graphics chip / card
Nvidia, AMD/ATI/Radeon and Intel work out of the box, or the system can be tweaked to work fairly easily. You can get help at the Ubuntu Forums. With such graphics, or if you don’t know, try the current Lubuntu version.
- Celeron M computers can have trouble installing, workaround exists.
Ubuntu Release notes
- For a full list of issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
For bugs affecting all flavors, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
This is our list of known bugs affecting applications that Lubuntu uses but relies on others to maintain.
- Abiword language selector text cut off in abiword (1484785).
- gnumeric menu ->help ->about gnumeric -> license button, does not work. (1516454).
- Software properties gtk implies my cpu is unknown and not working. (1444682).
These are maintained by the Lubuntu team.
- run dialog called from one desktop opens on the desktop with preferences dialog, regardless of which desktop is current (1445818).
- changing multiple desktop names only results in the first being changed. (1522625).
Lubuntu Desktop Installer
ALL DESKTOP IMAGES NOW REQUIRE A DVD OR USB.
Lubuntu Alternate Installer
All Alternate images now require a DVD or USB. As a workaround, use the server or netboot images.
PowerPC is only supported on Lubuntu LTS releases.
- No slides are displayed in Ubiquity Slideshow while installing on Lubuntu or Ubuntu MATE PowerPC (1561573).
Do check with the PowerPCFAQ for known issues that are PPC specific.