lubuntu 17.10 has been released!
What is Lubuntu?
Lubuntu is a lightweight Linux flavor using Ubuntu and LXDE as its base. The project’s goal is to provide a lightweight yet functional distribution. Lubuntu specifically targets older machines with lower resources, but also runs great on newer hardware. Along with a simple but usable graphical user interface, Lubuntu comes with a wide variety of applications chosen for their small footprint so you can browse, email, chat, play, and be productive.
Where can I download it?
On the server with the following architectures:
The 17.10 version had been respun. Some laptops were not suitable for the first version 17.10. The BIOS got corrupted due to Intel SPI bug in kernel. Read more on Phoronix and check if your machine could be affected in the bug issue.
What’s improved since 17.04?
- We now ship with Linux Kernel 4.13.
- General bug fix release as we prepare to switch to LXQt.
- LXDE components have been updated with bug fixes.
- The artwork has received an update.
- The latest release of Audacious, 3.9, is included by default.
- Hardinfo has been updated to the latest upstream snapshot.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not be more than 10 years old (although some older computers are known to work as well).
- Memory (RAM): for advanced internet services like Google+, YouTube, Google Drive, and Facebook, your computer needs at least 1 GB of RAM. For local programs like LibreOffice and simple browsing habits, your computer needs at least 512 MB of RAM.
- Processor (CPU): the minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8. Older processors are too slow and the AMD K7 has problems with Flash video.
How do I get support?
Please check out the ubuntoforums.org.
For known issues, please see the release notes.