The Lubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Lubuntu 15.04. Please download it here:
What is Lubuntu ?
Lubuntu is a flavor of Ubuntu based on the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE), as its default GUI. The goal is to provide a very lightweight distribution, with all the advantages of the Ubuntu world (repositories, support, etc.). Lubuntu is targeted at “normal” PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware. Such users may not know how to use command line tools, and in most cases they just don’t have enough resources for all the bells and whistles of the “full-featured” mainstream distributions.
With many LXDE components, Lubuntu also uses well-known applications, such as Firefox, Openbox, Pidgin, to name a few. The Lubuntu project wiki contains more information on the project and the applications used available.
New Features in Lubuntu 15.04
- General bug fix release as we prepare for LXQt.
- Many LXDE components have been updated with bug fix releases.
- An update of the artwork (more icons, theme update, more compatibilities …).
- Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
- Pcmanfm, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
- Openbox, the fast and extensible, default windows-manager of LXDE.
- Lightdm, using the simple GTK greeter
- Firefox, the famous web browser.
- For more detail, please see the full list of applications.
Lubuntu is a good operating system for many old computers, but not for all of them. Some computers have too little horsepower or memory. A rule of thumb is that the computer should not be more than 10 years old.
For advanced internet services like Google+, Youtube, Google Docs and Facebook, your computer needs at least 1 GB RAM.
For local programs like Libre Office and simple browsing habits, your computer needs at least 512 MB RAM.
The minimum specification for CPU is Pentium 4 or Pentium M or AMD K8.
Older processors are too slow and AMD K7 has problems with flash video.
Graphics chip / card
Nvidia, AMD/ATI/Radeon and Intel work out of the box, or the system can be tweaked to work fairly easily. You can get help at the Ubuntu Forums. With such graphics, or if you don’t know, try the current Lubuntu version.
- Desktop installer does not reboot or shutdown when prompted at the end of the install in VirtualBox or VMWare, so a hard shutdown will be required (1447038).
- Desktop installer fails to load desktop window decorations on Haswell Intel desktop with HD 4600 graphics (1445814).
- run dialog opens on desktop with lxpanel config not current desktop (1445818).
- notification dialog has horizonal bars; workaround exists (1362555).
- lxpanel volume applet settings opens empty terminal window; workaround exists (1434774).
- lubuntu-software-center: can’t find uninstalled packages on a system installed with the alternate image; workaround exists (1446830).
- file-roller: “Add files” greyed out, can’t add anything (1383902).
- file-roller when launched from context menu of pcmanfm has password filed grayed out when creating a compressed archive (1432777).
- gnome-mplayer shows 2 notifications for opening multiple files when window is not focused (1434347).
- Lubuntu PPC is now LTS only.
Ubuntu Release notes
- For issues and features common to Ubuntu, please refer to the Ubuntu release notes.
Head over here to get it.
- 9 months supportPlease check out the ubuntoforums.org.