There has been news on some sites about "lubuntu" gaining official status. And YES we are on the way to official status and had some thumbs up from Mark and others at UDS in Budapest, but one thing is for sure: There is still a lot of work ahead. We can call lubuntu official, when the ISOs are build on the Ubuntu infrastructure and when lubuntu 11.10 will be out. This here is a quick sum up of the Ubuntu Developer Summit and the impacts on Lubuntu development based on notes of Julien Lavergne:
== Lubuntu and official status ==
As said during the UDS session, we are on track for official status. Infrastructure issues are going to be solved and Lubuntu will be added to the list of flavors. We have all the authorizations for it, so I'm (Julien) pretty sure it will happen this cycle. We will have to work on stabilizing the new ISOs, but I'll write again when it will be available.
== Work during this cycle ==
A lot of work will be necessary to be ready for gtk3 migration. Don't expect many new exciting features. Unless we have more people and developers coming along and helping with various projects, new features will not be on the top of the list.
== Rewrite of the TODO page ==
To help to know where there is work to do, there is TODO page for Lubuntu. You can find it on: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Developers/TODO
The different sections:
* Bitesize : It's little bugs that should be easy to fix, and are suitable for new comers.
* Projects : It's more than bitesize :) It's more difficult / long to implement, suitable for people who want to work on a more long-term project.
* Discussed projects : items that are discussed, but we are not sure if it's useful, suitable, or possible for Lubuntu.
* Packaging : items relative to packaging, for Debian or Ubuntu.
* Upstreaming : it's tasks to be done directly on upstream side.
* Project Organization : task for the general organisation of the project.
* Documentation : Various items for documentation.
* Later / To triage : not up to date, don't look at it :)
When you want to work on an item, you should put your name at the beginning of the line, or put your name in the table. It should avoid duplicate work.
== Other ==
All should be summarize in the TODO page.